Friday, April 5, 2013

FACE OF TODAY

The FACE OF TODAY continues to motivate me to find and recognize people who are making a difference in this world.  
 
I first met Kirsten a few years ago at work event.  I immediately noticed her kind energy.  As we started talking I quickly found out that she was aware of the poor food quality & methods that we have the in USA.  We talked about Urban Farming and many concepts that connect us to our roots, literally.  She is like a Cosmopolitan Farmer, combining city and country.  Kirsten truly cares about the environment.  But what I loved most? She took ACTION! She stood up and did something....it was a SIMPLE ACT


I asked Kirsten if I could share her story of Composting in NYC. This is what she wrote: 

When you smell mature compost it takes you right into the forest under the tree canopy.  I got started composting because I wanted to channel my sadness/frustration which spurred from too much garbage and so I took a positive action.  I enrolled in a 'Master Composter' course at the Queens Botanical garden in NY. There I learned the science of composting and a bit of community organization. Through out this course, I've met fabulous people that share my same goal.  I continue to work with other Master Composers in our Jackson Height community compost site, JHScraps. 

In many cities children have never been in a true forest, they've never experienced that moist sweet aroma of mother nature. This isn't what originally inspired me to get into composting -but it keeps me going.  Doing community composting is a wonderful way to get to know your neighbors at every stage- when you are collecting the food scraps, maintaining the bins and harvesting the compost. As I work with people I'm amazed how once they start to compost~ there's no going back!  Especially when they realize how much they were throwing away into landfills.

No comments:

Post a Comment